Skilled And Compassionate Advocacy For Personal Injury And Fire-Related Claims
- Personal Injury
- Insurance Law
- Employment Law
William A. Daniels is a trial lawyer and shareholder with the law firm of Daniels Law in Encino California. He has successfully litigated numerous high-profile cases, including:
- In 2003 obtained a $20.5 million punitive damage verdict against Max Factor heir Andrew Luster in a high profile sexual battery case.
- In 2007 served as co-trial counsel in Zevada Enterprises v. Sasson, which resulted in a $3.5 million verdict in a commercial lease contest.
- Insurance matters - obtained multiple seven and eight figure recoveries for a variety of clients including Northridge Earthquake victims, physicians and small businesses, including a $1.2 million punitive damage verdict in Decena v. Pacific Specialty Insurance Company.
- Class actions - has served as a member of the litigation team in class actions resulting in recoveries in the hundreds of millions of dollars, including: Guttierez v. State Farm and Bednar v. Allstate.
- Co-counsel on the first California appellate decision to find a right of privacy in a public place, Shulman v. Group W, Inc. (1998) 18 Cal.4th 200
- In 2008 he was lead trial counsel in Decena v. Pacific Specialty Ins. Co., which resulted in a $1.2 million verdict in an insurance bad faith dispute, including $600,000 in punitive damages.
As counsel in insurance matters he has obtained multiple seven and eight figure recoveries for a variety of clients including Northridge Earthquake victims, physicians and small businesses. He has successfully prosecuted matters for individuals suffering serious personal injuries such as brain injury, spinal cord injury and wrongful death, including drug product liability, automobile and dependant adult abuse. He represents business owners in contract disputes including intellectual property and real estate matters.
A graduate of Loyola Law School of Los Angeles, Bill Daniels is a former member of the Consumer Attorney Association of Los Angeles Board of Governors and a founding member of the Civil Justice Program and the Advanced Trial Studies program at Loyola Law School in Los Angeles. He regularly lectures before various professional groups on class action, personal injury, insurance bad faith and legal ethics.
He publishes extensively on legal topics and is a co-author of Movie Money: Understanding Hollywood's (Creative) Accounting Practices (Silman-James Press, 2d Ed. 2006) and a contributing author to California Civil Discovery Practice, 4th Edition (CEB). In 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 he was selected for Southern California "Super Lawyers" by Los Angeles Magazine. He is a monthly columnist for the consumer attorney Advocate Magazine and blogs at www.billdanielsblog.com.
Bill Daniels was born in San Francisco, California on August 29, 1956, and admitted to the California State Bar in 1994.
- Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, California
- J.D. - 1994
- San Francisco State University, San Francisco, California
- B.A. - 1982
- Major: Radio-Television
- California, 1994
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 1994
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 2004
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1994
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1994
- Supreme Court of California, 1994
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California, 2014
- United States Supreme Court, 2000
- District of Columbia
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles (CAALA), Former Board Member, Board of Governors, 2000 to 2008
- American Association for Justice, Member, 1994
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles (CAALA), Co-Chair, Membership Committee, 2006 to 2008
- Loyola Law School Civil Justice Symposium, Committee Chair, 2003 to 2006
- Consumer Attorneys of California, 1992
- American Association for Justice, 1994
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Cowboy Lawyers Association, President, 2002 - 2003, 2011 - 2012, 2002 to 2003
- Cowboy Lawyers Association, Board of Governors, 1998 to Present
- Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles, Editor-in-chief, Advocate Magazine, 2002 to 2003
- San Fernando Valley Bar Association, Trustee
- Encino Lawyers Association, President
- A Class Act, The Advocate, February, 2010
- Admonition In's and Out's, The Advocate, May, 2008
- Editor-in-Chief, The Advocate Magazine, 2002 - 2003
- Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Advocate Magazine, 2003 - present
- "A touch of Spring Fever at the Supreme Court"
- "Deposition stipulations, or do you know what you're giving up?"
- Get Your Deposition off to the Right Start
- "A Brain in Hand and a Brain Test Out of Control", 35 Advocate 18 (April 2008)
- "Getting Ahead of the Procrastination Curve"
- "Picking Experts and Avoiding Nightmares"
- Choose Your Experts Wisely
- "The Art of Case Picking"
- "Practical Tips on Genuine Dispute and Advice of Counsel"
- "Coping with California Firestorm Claims"
- "More on Rex's Reading List", 35 Advocate 12 (February 2008)
- "Rex's Reading List", 35 Advocate 18 (January 2008)
- "Federal Sovereignty, Discovery and Touhy Doctrine," 34 Advocate 20 (December 2007)
- "Gloom, Doom and Statistics," 34 Advocate 12 (November 2007)
- "Oh, How the People's Lawyers Open Doors"
- "Successfully Confronting Genuine Dispute & Advice of Counsel Defenses"
- "Book Review: Getting a Winning Verdict on My Personal Life: A Trial Lawyer Finds His Soul"
- "Five Fatal Bad Faith Mistakes and How to Avoid Them"
- "Ten Tips for Making Partner in a Plaintiff's Firm"
- "In Defense of the Honorable Manuel L. Real"
- "Seven Rules for Picking Cases: A Useful Guide for Lawyers, Young and Old"
- "Discovery and Depositions in the Bad Faith Case", CAALA Las Vegas Convention Syllabus, September, 2006
- "Searching for a Higher Duty", 33 Advocate 5, May, 2006
- "A Class Action Primer", Los Angeles Press Club Civil Justice Seminar, 2006
- "The Cost of Bias in the Legal Profession", CAALA Las Vegas Convention Syllabus, September, 2005
- "Genuine Dispute: Experts Now Have a Clear Role in Identifying Subpar Claims Handling", CAALA Las Vegas Convention Syllabus, August, 2004
- "When Catastrophe Comes Calling and Ten Insurance Claim Do's and Don'ts", 31 Advocate 12, Mar., 2004
- "Sports Premises Injuries and the Knight v. Jewett Evolution", 31 Advocate 20, Feb., 2004
- "Trying the Insurance Bad Faith Case", (Co-Author), CAALA Las Vegas Convention Syllabus, August, 2003
- "Balance Billing Update", CAALA Las Vegas Convention Syllabus, August, 2003
- "Why Campbell Doesn’t Necessarily Mean We’re In The Soup", 30 Advocate 20, July, 2003
- "Is There A Genuine Dispute or Is It Bad Faith?", 30 Advocate 12, February, 2003
- "Contacting Former Employees During Informal Discovery and Fighting the Motion for Disqualification", CAALA Las Vegas Convention Syllabus, August, 2002
- "When Rental Car Companies Add To The Carnage", 32 CAOC Forum 21, July/August, 2002
- "Asking for Whom the Statute Tolls: Continuing Representation and the Statute of Limitations", 29 Advocate 16, June/July, 2002
- "Hard to Tell: Counsel Must Rely on the Facts When Distinguishing Between Unfair Dealings and Mistaken Judgment by Insurance Companies", Los Angeles Daily Journal Verdicts & Settlements 6, March 29, 2002
- "Exposing Carriers Who Abuse Efficient Proximate Cause", 29 Advocate 18, February, 2002
- "On Dealing with Lien Claimants", CAALA Las Vegas Convention Syllabus, September, 2001
- "Aguilar and the New Face of Summary Judgment", 28 Advocate 28, July/August, 2001
- "Using Daubert, Kumho Tire and Kelly To Your Advantage", 27 Advocate 24, June, 2000
- "Defamation as a Reemerging Tort, Parts 1 and 2", (Co-Author), Part 1: 26 Advocate 8, October, 1999
- "Defamation as a Reemerging Tort, Parts 1 and 2", (Co-Author), Part 2: 26 Advocate 20, November, 1999
- "Movie Money: Understanding Hollywood's (Creative) Accounting", (Co-Author), Silman-James Press, ISBN: 1-879505-33-9, 1998
- "Vulture Video: Protecting the Consumer", (Co-Author), 25 CAOC Forum 9, June, 1995
- "Copyright Conundrums Along the Information Superhighway", First Place Winner, ASCAP Nathan Burkan Memorial Competition, 1994
- "Roth v. Garcia Marquez: Fitting Motion Pictures with International Shoes", Case note, 13 Loyola Law School Entertainment Law Journal, 1993
- Service is More than a Word, Valley Lawyers Magazine (April 2016)
- “Porter Ranch Gas Leak Update, Valley Lawyer Magazine (March 2016)
- Might as well face it, you’re addicted to late, 35 Advocate 28 (July 2008)
- “Admonition ins and outs, 35 Advocate 22 (May 2008)
- Contributing Author, California Civil Discovery Practice, 4th Edition (CEB)
- Doe v. Luster
- Mary Doe vs. Pharmaceutical Company
- Shulman v. Group W Productions, Inc., 18 Cal.4th 200, 74 Cal.Rptr.2d 843, 1998
- Decena v. Pacific Specialty Insurance Company
- Zevada Enterprises v. Sasson
- Guttierez v. State Farm and Bednar v. Allstate
- Shulman v. Group W, Inc. (1998) 18 Cal.4th 200
- Southern California Super Lawyer, 2007 – 2010
- Named “Super Lawyer” by Los Angeles Magazine. A Distinction Reserved for the Top 5% of Southern California Lawyers, 2007 – 2008
- Named “Super Lawyer” by Los Angeles Magazine. A Distinction Reserved for the Top 5% of Southern California Lawyers, 2009 – 2010
- CAALA President’s Award, 2003 – 2006
- 1st Place, American Society of Composers, Authors & Publishers Nathan Burkan Memorial Competition, 1994
- AVVO rated 10.0/10
- ASCAP Nathan Burkan Memorial Competition First Prize, 1994
Classes & Seminars
- Discovery and Depositions in the Bad Faith Case, Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles, 2006 to 2006
- A Class Action Primer, Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles, 2006 to 2006
- Insurance Panel: Discovery and Depositions in the Bad Faith Case, CAALA Las Vegas Convention, 2006 to 2006
- Civil Justice Basics, Los Angeles Press Club Civil Justice Seminar, 2005 to 2005
- Elimination of Bias: The Cost of Bias in the Legal Profession, CAALA Las Vegas Convention, 2005 to 2005
- Insurance Panel: Defeating the Genuine Dispute Issue Doctrine, CAALA Las Vegas Convention, 2004 to 2004
- Ethics Panel: Balance Billing - Practitioner Tricks and Traps, CAALA Las Vegas Convention, 2003 to 2003
- Insurance Panel: Maximizing Damages in Settlement/Mediation, CAOC Monterrey Convention, 2003 to 2003
- Cool & Interesting Topics in Insurance Bad Faith, CAOC Whistler Winter Ski Seminar, 2003 to 2003
- Ethics Panel: Contacting Former Employees During Informal Discovery and Fighting the Motion for Disqualification, CAALA Las Vegas Convention, 2002 to 2002
- Ethics Panel: On Dealing with Lien Claimants, CAALA Las Vegas Convention, 2001 to 2001
- CAALA Paralegal Seminar, 2001
- 1999 Legislative Update: Admissibility of OSHA Standards, CAALA Program, 1999 to 1999
- The Touhy Trap: Maybe You Should Make a Federal Case out of It, 2016 Wildland Fire Conference, Monterrey, CA, Apr. 22, 2016
- Issues in Porter Ranch Gas Leak Litigation, Valley Lawyer Affinity Group, Mar. 8, 2016
- Crumbling Infrastructure: Porter Ranch Gas Leak Cases, Western Trial Lawyers Association, Feb. 18, 2016
- Substance Abuse and Lawyer Competence, Encino Lawyers Association, 2016
- Elimination of Bias: Avoiding Embarrassment, Encino Lawyers Association, 2015
- The Art of Voire Dire, Encino Lawyers Association, 2015
- Lawyers and Opportunity in the Affordable Care Act, Encino Lawyers Association, 2014
- Ethical Tricks and Traps: Clients on the Internet, Encino Lawyers Association, 2013
- Destroying Critical Evidence: Dangerous Loopholes in the Law, Encino Lawyers Association, 2013
- Social Networking on the Internet, Encino Lawyers Association, 2011
- Ins and Outs of Expedited Jury Trials, Encino Lawyers Association, 2011
- Doing Your Own Focus Groups, Encino Lawyers Association, 2011
- Preparing the Problem Witness and Ethical Issues, Encino Lawyers Association, 2011
- Insurance Bad Faith Claims in California: Effective Selection and Use of the Expert Witness, Sheraton Downtown Los Angeles, CA April 2008
- Mealey’s California Bad Faith Litigation Conference: Discovery Tool Box, Ritz-Carlton Hotel, San Francisco, CA, January 2008
- Questions and Answers on Civil Justice, Los Angeles Press Club Civil Justice Seminar, December 2007
- Lessons Learned: Trying the Wage and Hour Class Action, Sheraton Hotel, Los Angeles, November 2007
- Insurance Panel: The Genuine Dispute Defense, CAALA Las Vegas Convention, September 2007
- Loyola Law School Advanced Trial Skills Institute, Founding Member, 2007
- Loyola Law School Civil Justice Symposium, Organizing Committee, 2003 - Present
- Loyola Law School Civil Justice Symposium, Committee Chair, 2003 - 2006
- Public Justice Foundation, 1999
- Loyola Law School Advocacy Institute Board
- Trial Advocacy Team Coach, Chaminade High School, West Hills, 2007 to 2008
- Schwartz, Daniels & Bradley, Partner, 2004 to 2008
- Mazursky, Schwartz, Daniels & Bradley , Partner, 2004 to 2006
- Mazursky, Schwartz (Formerly Mazursky, Schwartz & Angelo), Associate, 1999 to 2003
- Paul & Janofsky (Formerly Paul & Stuart), Associate, 1992 to 1998
- Paul & Janofsky (Formerly Paul & Stuart), Law Clerk, 1992 to 1994
- Law Offices of Tyson Park, Law Clerk, 1991 to 1992
- Near North National Group/Near North Insurance, Senior Vice President, 1990 to 1991
- Daily Variety, Reporter, Business Writer, 1984 to 1990
Fraternities or Sororities
- Phi Delta Phi